Monday, May 5, 2014

Unit 3: Romey & J - Baz Luhrmann (Blog Entry 2)

I think that the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo And Juliet is a lot different from the other versions. I think he wanted to modernize the whole concept of Romeo and Juliet. The movie is set in modern time. The characters used in the film was also very modern, but they still used some of Shakespeare's lines of poetry from the original. I think Shakespeare would have liked some parts of the movie, but most of the parts were really 'different' from the original. Although I do think the story line was somewhat similar, and I think Shakespeare would appreciate that. Even though they changed the script to fit the modern world, they still used sufficient amounts of Shakespeare's poetry. I think that some of the characters that they created were very different in a bad way such as Mercutio. I don't think Shakespeare would like Mercutio dressed up in a silver skirt and top with heels and red lipstick, but nevertheless I think that the concept of the modern day version of the star crossed lovers was well imitated.

No comments:

Post a Comment